Friday 18 December 2015

What does one wear to go to a gig?

I may have mentioned that I love a bit of live music. I’m not exactly a muso but I do like going to a gig or two to have a bit of a sing and a bit of a dance. We have some lovely gig buddies who we go to see many different bands including the likes of Embrace, The Beach Boys and Noel Gallagher. They are the cool gigs, there are a few maybe not quite so cool like Steps, Hear’Say (cringe) and One Direction – it was the kids honest! For me, knowing what to wear for a gig is pretty tricky for a number of reasons.

1) I always need good footwear especially if I’m standing, I have to have something flat but being a bit on the short side, this can mean that I struggle to see. I’m happy to end the night with an elongated neck as I strain to see the stage but heels would be a nightmare for what I call my “gig jig”.
2) I need something I can leg it out to the car or the station so whether it’s from the Corn Exchange or the O2, I love an early dart to get out first – I’m such a nerd.

3) Jeans are a no brainer for a normal gig gig.

4) But then what top to wear? Well if it’s a bit of what I call a trendy gig like Take That (yes I know but that’s’ all I’ve got) I like something with a bit of a sparkle but if it’s a bit more folky like the mighty Bellowhead I like to be a bit more flowing (like the real ale!). I got a fab top from Scope which was ace when we went to Bellowhead.

5) I always look forward to a bit of Newmarket nights but it is a bit more posh. I love a frock and wedges so I don’t sink into the grass and look like a wobbling wino.

6) Coat or not? Like on big nights out in Oldham and Ashton in the early 90’s, coats just get in the way. At a push a denim to tie round my waist but otherwise no thank you.

So you can see this is something I massively overthink, its amazing I actually get out of the door to get to a gig after trying on everything I own.

God forbid if I ever went to a festival!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment